Nature’s changing colors and shorter days are sure signs that fall is on the way. As we say good-bye to long hot days and get ready to spend more time indoors, now is the perfect time to get your home ready for the colder weather to come!
- Cut back perennials and dead branches and limbs on trees and bushes. Before the ground freezes, apply a fresh layer of mulch to new perennials and bushes to provide protection from harsh winter temperatures. As soon as the leaves finish falling, make sure your gutters are cleaned to prevent clogs and ice damage.
- Make sure storm windows are down and secure. Check windows and doors and make sure any cracks or spaces are repaired so outside air is not coming in and indoor heat is not seeping out. Next Generation Signature Homes give you one less thing to worry about – energy efficient secure windows and doors are built-in, helping keep your home air-tight right from the start!
- Once the fall nights turn colder, don’t forget your outside living space. Cover and store your outdoor furniture and bring pillows inside. Store flower pots and lawn décor in the garage so they’re in good shape for next spring.
- Make your home more inviting with fall accents on your front door, porch and entryway. You don’t have to spend much. Simply add a rich fall-colored wreath to your front door and place a few pots of mums and larger pumpkins and gourds on the porch to welcome your guests.
- Get your heater and home humidifier ready for full-time use by scheduling an annual inspection before the weather gets colder. Have repairs made and parts replaced as necessary. That annual check-up will cost you less with NGSH’s new energy-efficient low-maintenance heating and air conditioning units. You’ll also enjoy lower utility bills, better air quality and better thermostat control!
- Transition your living area too! Replace summer colored pillows and other accessories with rich colors of burgundy, orange, brown and gold to bring fall inside. Add splashes of fall color with new plush blanket throws or textured throw rugs.
- Who doesn’t like a warm fire on a cold winter night? Sweep away last year’s ashes, schedule an inspection of your fireplace and chimney, and keep a good supply of wood on hand. Do you have one of the newer, more energy-efficient linear or wall-mount fireplaces like the ones that will be featured in several of our new Signature Series Homes? No clean-up or wood is necessary!
- Bring the outdoors in with simple fall décor accents you might already have in your own back yard! Trim your hydrangea bushes and bring the flowers inside to dry. Their natural fall hues are gorgeous! Pinecones in bowls and twigs and branches tied with bows also make nice accents. Paint some of them to add an extra pop of fall color!
We hope you enjoy all the beauty fall has to bring! If you would like to learn more about Next Generation My Signature Home’s spectacular home designs, please give us a call at (630) 280-5551 or complete our online contact form. Join our e-list to be among the first to know about what’s happening with My Signature Homes!